This Acceptable Use Policy document, including the following list of Prohibited Activities, is an integral part of your Hosting Agreement with Qeru. If you engage in any of the activities prohibited by this AUP document Qeru may suspend or terminate your account.
The Qeru Acceptable Use Policy (the "Policy") for Qeru Services is designed to help protect Qeru, Qeru customers and the Internet community in general from irresponsible or, in some cases, illegal activities. The Policy is a non-exclusive list of the actions prohibited by Qeru. Qeru reserves the right to modify the Policy at any time.
Prohibited Uses of Qeru Systems and Services:
- Qeru is not set up to send bulk e-mail. Commercial or non-profit organizations sending bulk e-mail (even legitimate bulk e-mail) directly from their server without a special agreement is prohibited. If you are such a user and like to run a mailing list or other kinds of legitimate bulk mail through a server you have hosted with Qeru, please explain a bit about your list and why you want an exception via a ticket to support.
- Confirmed opt-in mailing lists for personal use only, that also comply to the CAN-SPAM act of 2003, are generally acceptable. Mailman is one software package that can provide confirmed opt-in.
- Transmission, distribution or storage of any material in violation of any applicable law or regulation is prohibited. This includes, without limitation, material protected by copyright, trademark, trade secret or other intellectual property right used without proper authorization, and material that is obscene, defamatory, constitutes an illegal threat, or violates export control laws.
- Sending Unsolicited Bulk Email ("UBE", "spam"). The sending of any form of Unsolicited Bulk Email through Qeru servers is especially prohibited. Likewise, the sending of UBE from another service provider advertising a web site, email address or utilizing any resource hosted on Qeru servers, is prohibited. Qeru accounts or services may not be used to solicit customers from, or collect replies to, messages sent from another Internet Service Provider where those messages violate this Policy or that of the other provider.
- Running Unconfirmed Mailing Lists. Subscribing email addresses to any mailing list without the express and verifiable permission of the email address owner is especially prohibited. All mailing lists run by Qeru customers must have prior permission and must be Closed-loop ("Confirmed Opt-in"). The subscription confirmation message received from each address owner must be kept on file for the duration of the existence of the mailing list. Purchasing lists of email addresses from third parties for mailing to from any Qeru hosted domain, or referencing any Qeru account, is prohibited.
- Advertising, transmitting, or otherwise making available any software, program, product, or service that is designed to violate this AUP or the AUP of any other Internet Service Provider, which includes, but is not limited to, the facilitation of the means to send Unsolicited Bulk Email, initiation of pinging, flooding, mail-bombing, denial of service attacks is prohibited.
- Operating an account on behalf of, or in connection with, or reselling any service to, persons or firms listed in the Spamhaus Register of Known Spam Operations (ROKSO) database at www.spamhaus.org is prohibited.
- Unauthorized attempts by a user to gain access to any account or computer resource not belonging to that user (e.g., "cracking") is prohibited.
- Obtaining or attempting to obtain service by any means or device with intent to avoid payment is prohibited.
- Unauthorized access, alteration, destruction, or any attempt thereof, of any information of any Qeru customers or end-users by any means or device.
- Knowingly engaging in any activities designed to harass, or that will cause a denial-of-service (e.g., synchronized number sequence attacks) to any other user whether on the Qeru network or on another provider's network is prohibited.
- Using Qeru Services to interfere with the use of the Qeru network by other customers or authorized users is prohibited.
- Port scanning on any network or system is prohibited without prior authorization from that network's administrator. If in doubt about what constitutes "port scanning" see the overview at SAN.
Customer Responsibility for Customer's Users
Each Qeru customer is responsible for the activities of its users and, by accepting service from Qeru, is agreeing to ensure that its customers/representatives or end-users abide by this Policy. Complaints about customers/representatives or end-users of a Qeru customer will be forwarded to the Qeru customer's postmaster for action. If violations of the Qeru Acceptable Use Policy occur, Qeru reserves the right to terminate services with or take action to stop the offending customer from violating the Qeru AUP as Qeru deems appropriate, without notice.
Qeru reserves the right to monitor incoming and outgoing traffic to detect network abuse